Sunday, December 13, 2015

White Christmas



After having served together during World War II, Bob Wallace and Phil Davis pick their lives back up where they left off by joining together as a song-and-dance routine act. Pretty soon the act becomes so popular, they are wanted in venues all across the country. As their fame skyrockets, Phil gets worried that Bob won't settle down and start a family before it's too late. As Phil tries to figure out what to do, he and Bob get a letter from an old Army pal telling them about his two sisters who are trying to make their own way in show business. Their friend asks them for a favor in taking a look at the act and giving some pointers to help out the sisters. As Bob and Phil meet the Haynes sisters, they all get along very well, and Phil gets the bright idea to romantically connect the older sister Betty with Bob. At the same time Phil tries to pull this off, he and Bob run into their former commanding officer, General Waverly. As they catch up, Bob realizes how much the General misses the Army, so he concocts a plan to reconnect the entire 151st Division and have them meet together at the General's business, the Columbia Inn. Things get complicated as the two men attempt to get all this together without the General knowing, all while Phil (and at this point the younger sister Judy as well) still tries to get Bob and Betty together. But, with a little careful planning - and a bit of luck - it just might be a wonderful(ly) "White Christmas" after all.

White Christmas ranks very high on my all time favorite holiday classics. If I had to put a specific rank, I'm not sure if it would make my top 5, but it's safe to say it makes my top 10 overall. It's a classic musical that has songs that are easily recognizable, and fun to sing along to. Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Vera-Ellen, and Rosemary Clooney are all simply wonderful in the lead roles. I'm a huge fan of musicals, and this is one I can't seem to get enough of. It hasn't turned into a tradition yet to make sure I watch it every Christmas, but I'm beginning to think I should do so. For those who love song-and-dance/musicals, and not to mention are Bing Crosby fans, I would highly recommend seeking this one out if you haven't seen it yet. Seriously, I can't recommend it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment