Wednesday, December 2, 2015

I'll Be Home for Christmas




Jake Wilkinson is a selfish, spoiled college kid who would rather spend time with his girlfriend Allie rather than his own family. Not only that, he's developed a reputation at school for finding ways to cheat and "help" the jocks keep up their grades. Even though Jake already made plans for Christmas to spend it with Allie on the beach, Jake's father calls him and makes him a deal: if he can make it home before 6 pm on Christmas Eve, Jake will get his father's Porsche as a gift. Jake makes every effort to make it home before 6, but a series of unfortunate events keep getting in the way. Along the trip, Jake meets different people who help him to understand the true meaning of Christmas and gain a better respect and love for those around him.

I'll Be Home for Christmas isn't the greatest comedy I've ever seen - heck, I wouldn't even put it on my top 20. It's got one of the most basic plots of a road trip where things go horribly wrong that has been done more times than I can count. I also found the acting to be a bit wooden as well, though Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Jessica Biel were good. To be honest though, what it lacks in story and acting, it made up for in the *ahem* Christmas spirit. There were times I had to roll my eyes at the obvious moments of emotional awkwardness, but thankfully it was never too much to make me hate it as a whole. I hadn't seen it before, but I've heard quite a bit from others who had seen it, and I'm glad I watched it. It's one of those I probably won't watch every chance I get, but I would still see it multiple times. It's not a Christmas classic, but it is pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment