Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Home Alone



At some point, every kid entertains the idea of being out on their own. No parents to bother them, they don't have to do chores like making the bed, and they can do/eat/say whatever the heck they want. Few people get the chance to actually live out that fantasy as a kid. Kevin McCallister feels that way about his family. The youngest in a large family, he often feels left out and ignored. After a particularly rough Christmas as the family is preparing for a trip to Paris, Kevin makes that fateful wish that his family was out of his life. Unbeknownst to him, in a rush to get to the airport his family leaves him behind as he sleeps in the attic. Kevin sees this as a golden opportunity, until he comes across two bumbling idiot crooks trying to break into houses around the neighborhood, including Kevin's. Kevin tries to fend off the crooks as his family in Paris realizes he's back home alone and they attempt to make their way back.

Unlike practically every other person my age, I never grew up watching Home Alone. To be honest, it never really looked that good to me, so I never sought it out to watch it. 25 years later I finally sat down to watch it, and I can't see why people like it so much, let alone consider it a holiday classic. To me it was one of the most overrated and over-hyped movies I've ever seen - and that's saying a lot. The initial story was good, but poorly executed. About 20 minutes in I found myself frequently looking at the time wondering when it was going to end. For a comedy, I laughed at most a total of 2-3 times. It just felt like a over-hyped piece of junk. I'll admit, my opinion might have been different if I had seen it as a kid growing up like everyone else I know. However, as it stands, seeing it as an adult felt like a waste of two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment