Sunday, December 20, 2015

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens



    Thirty years after the defeat of Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader and the Galactic Empire, the galaxy is threatened once again from a far more dangerous enemy: the First Order. Risen from the ashes of the Empire, the First Order seeks to continue the Empire's goal of complete galactic domination. Headed by Supreme Leader Snoke and his Dark Jedi apprentice Kylo Ren, in order to fulfill their destiny as the dominating force the First Order must find all of the separated pieces of a map which could lead to the whereabouts of Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, who has gone missing for a good portion of the last thirty years. The Resistance races to find the map before the First Order so they can put a stop to the murderous regime.

    DISCLAIMER: I WILL DO MY BEST TO STAY AWAY FROM MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SEE THE MOVIE YET, HOWEVER I MAY HAVE TO GIVE SOME MINOR SPOILER DETAILS IN ORDER TO GIVE MY FULL REVIEW. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

    As a huge Star Wars fan, I was really looking forward to seeing The Force Awakens. I'm not ashamed to admit I was actually counting down the days leading up to its release I was so excited. Coming out of the theater, I can thankfully say that J.J. Abrams effectively recaptured the magic of the original trilogy that was lost in the prequels (not to say the prequels were entirely horrible, they all have their redeeming values, but still...). It's been a long time since I've been in a movie where 2 hours goes by and it feels like only 30 minutes. In some ways I both love and hate this, but Abrams manages to leave more questions than answers - some of which are almost obviously going to be answered in the next installment. 

    I've heard people argue that The Force Awakens is basically a remake of A New Hope. I can see where they're coming from, but after thinking about it for a day or two since walking out of the theater, I can honestly say the story itself is different, but J.J. Abrams takes quite a few visual elements from A New Hope. The Starkiller base in which the First Order is located looks a heck of a lot like the Death Stars previously used in the original trilogy, only bigger and more devastating, this time embedded into an entire planet instead of a space station the size of a small moon. Kylo Ren seems to take on a similar role to Darth Vader, and Snoke can possibly be considered as a stand-in for Emperor Palpatine. All the visual cues from previous films evokes a sense of something the audience has seen before, but there's enough there in story, performance, and visuals to stay away from being a complete remake. It was awesome being able to see the old gang back together. I will say though, I am glad Abrams gives the newbies a chance to shine instead of this being a complete fan service film. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega as Rey and Finn respectively were great in each of their roles. In the beginning, Adam Driver as Kylo Ren was great, but there were parts almost reminiscent of Hayden Christiansen as Anakin Skywalker in the prequels where he came off more like a spoiled brat than a true villain. I hope to see more development of his character into a true villain in Episode VIII, because I was left wanting more from him. Same goes for a few other characters, it almost seemed like The Force Awakens was just the beginning and their true character development would be in Episode VIII. Not necessarily a bad thing in the long run, but for me it brought the overall movie down from being the best in the franchise to probably second or third best. 

    In the end, I can easily say that longtime Star Wars fans and casual fans alike will without a doubt love The Force Awakens (this is already evident considering there are reports of it already reaching an estimated $120.5 million in its opening day, and projected to be over $200 million by the end of the weekend). I know I sure did. I can already tell you I'm personally going to see it at least 1-2 more times in the theater and then buy once it gets released on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment