Friday, September 11, 2015

Man from U.N.C.L.E.



During the peak of the Cold War in the 1960's, C.I.A. agent Napoleon Solo is a former con artist forced to work with the C.I.A. when he gets caught in a heist gone bad. While on a mission in Germany to get a scientist's daughter named Gaby out from behind the Berlin Wall, Solo runs into a man named Illya Kuryakin, a Russian spy who has a penchant for shooting first and asking questions later, as well as some possible deep-rooted father issues. Solo escapes from Berlin with Gaby, only to meet up with his superiors later to find out they have teamed up with the Russians to find a weapons dealer who has several dirty bombs. Solo and Kuryakin have a hard road ahead of them with both the mission and working out their distrust with each other. 

Man from U.N.C.L.E. is based on a TV show that aired way before my time (I was born in the 1990's and the show aired during the '60's), so I wasn't as familiar with the concept going in as I probably should have been. That being said, before I saw the movie I had heard mixed reviews - mostly bad. It's not the best comedy I've ever seen, of course, but it is totally worth seeing. I disagree with the bad reviews it's received so far. It would have been better if it had not had a stereotypical action story that's been done thousands of times, but for what it's worth Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer are able to make a so-so script totally enjoyable. So far this year has been kind of a bust for me as far as finding good movies, which is disappointing as there have been many I was looking forward to seeing; but thankfully Man from U.N.C.L.E. is one of the good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment