Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Skyscraper


Will Sawyer is a former FBI agent and U.S. war veteran who now assesses security for skyscrapers. While he's on assignment in China, the world's tallest and safest building catches on fire -- and he gets framed for it. Now a wanted man and on the run, he must find those responsible, clear his name and somehow rescue his family members when they become trapped inside the inferno.

Gotta say, I've been hoping for a long time that there would be a new generation of actors & actresses who would be full-blown action stars similar to how it was in the '80's and '90's with the likes of Wesley Snipes, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sigourney Weaver, etc. As it turns out, I'm beginning to think that time has come in the form of Dwayne Johnson. I've said this before, but he's come a heck of a long way since making his official film debut back in 2001 as the Scorpion King. I'd still need to see him in a more dramatic role before I can say for myself that he's a great actor, but it's difficult to deny that the man is certainly charismatic and gives his all in just about every role he's in (I also haven't seen Gridiron Gang yet, so my opinion might change once I do). So far my favorite role of his has been as Hobbes in the Fast and Furious franchise, but after seeing Skyscraper, his portrayal as Will Sawyer is a close second. There's not an intricate plot, or deep characters to speak of, but in this particular case, it's ok. Skyscraper plays out more like an homage to classic action flicks, rather than trying to take itself seriously. Specifically, Skyscraper is more of a homage to Die Hard, with a little bit of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol thrown in.

There's not much else to say, other than if you're a fan of the classic action flicks such as the ones mentioned above, well, then this movie's for you. I certainly (and surprisingly) enjoyed the heck out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment